September 2010 Board Minutes
REDWOOD COAST SENIORS, INC.
BOARD OF DIRECTORS MEETING
Meeting on September 24, 2010
Friday 1:00 p.m. Conference Room
- Call to Order: 1:04 pm
- Board Members Present: Kathleen Johnson, John Garratt, Jim Graham, Wilma Gromer, Barbara Cole, Brandt Stickel, Laurel Moss, Phoebe Graubard, John Whatley.
- Staff: Diane Taylor, Janice Thomaides, Charles Bush.
- Guests: Peter Moylan, David Crowningshield, Gloria Liner, Miles Everett, Jacque Moore. Not in attendance: Horace Mann.
- Approval of the Minutes:
Stickel made a motion to accept the minutes as written, Graubard seconded, all approved.
- Guest Speaker Jacque Moore spoke on the new newsletter that she will be putting together as an in-house newsletter and gave everyone present her business card with her email address. Moore informed the Board of deadlines and to either email or leave in her box at the senior center.Bush informed the board that Horace Mann could not attend as he was attending the California State Senior Legislature.
- Board Reports:
- President's Report ~ Whatley reminded the Board that they would be losing two members whose terms have expired. Whatley thanked both Brandt Stickel and John Garratt for their service on the Board of Directors. Whatley also informed the Board that the new candidates would be picked at a closed session at the conclusion of today's meeting. At this time each of the potential Board Members: Miles Everett, David Crowningshield, Peter Moylan & Gloria Liner spoke on their own behalf in a regard to a position on the Board. After guests spoke, Whatley shared that Gromer was heading into her third week of Board Hospitality Representative and asked the Board to take turns and sit with Gromer from 10:30 – 12:30, greeting people and offering information. Gromer reported a positive response from people at this time.
- Treasurer’s Report ~ Stickel informed the Board that the Center was into the second month of the fiscal year, that being July 1st 2010 to June 30th 2011. The Balance sheet for August showed 207,505.00 in liquid assets. Profit and Loss Grant Income 54,622.00. The Non-Grant Income is 74,378 over the budget of 73,831 shows a 1% favorable change. Staff expenses within 1%. After speaking on various aspects of the report, the Treasures Report was approved.
- Director’s Report / Old Business
- The Center's Spaghetti Dinner was scheduled the same night another organization was hosting a free spaghetti dinner. The Center netted $1,300 - $1,400 which is typical of other dinners that the Center has hosted. Bush met with two other non-profit organization to work together in creating a community fund-raising awareness so future fundraisers won't overlap each other.
- Day Program will make two presentations, one to the Soroptimist and the other to the Knights of Columbus. Day center raffle closes on the 9th of October. The quilt that Alice Garner made for the center to Raffle, generated $781.00.
- Transportation showed that August has been the strongest month ever with rides topping over 700. Drivers worked the Winesong Event giving each driver overtime and tips. Transportation for Winesong generated $1,000.00 or more and a more accurate total will be given once invoices get paid.
- Knitting & Crochet doing OK ~ History & Square Dancing have been canceled due to lack of interest.
- Thursday Night Bingo has also been canceled due to an anonymous letter sent to Bush criticizing and complaining the way Bingo was run. The repercussion is that people did like it and it supplied extra income to two RCS employees. Bush felt to pursue Bingo would prove too complicated and it was better to just discontinue.
- Bush informed the Board that the Fund Raising Donation Packets that were mailed, have started to arrive. Checks so far equal $2,600.00 with more returns expected over the course of the months ahead.
- MCTV will have Michael Potts interviewing Bush talking about the Senior Center. The interviews have received good feedback.
- Thanks to David Crowningshield, the outdoor marque is now up and running.
- Harvest Moon Dinner Fundraiser has been canceled due to the fact that the cost of the event would be an estimated $10,000.00.
- Abalone Dinner will be taking place on November 13th as a joint effort with Evergreen Church. They will staff the event and RCS will provide cooking.
- Staffing ~ Bush reported that Experienced Works has decided to extend Patti Brill on their program for another six months.
- Thrift Store sales have showed a definite increase. It hasn't been determined yet if it will be cost effective to move Granny's Attic to the now Adult Day Room. Bush will get estimate by the next meeting to see what the cost would be to install bathroom and shower in the room now used for Granny's Attic. In lieu of the income generated from Kiwanis and Soroptimist, using the activity room would not be a good idea.
- Student food program to start in two weeks. 30 – 40 food bags go to needy families of school children. Kids from middle school will help pack bags.
- Outreach managing a chronic illness workshop which in turn should generate grant money.
- Whatley asked about dining room signage and Bush informed him that Taylor will learn computer software program used to generate signage for the Computer Monitor. Whatley asked Taylor about bio's and photos for the website. Taylor told Whatley that she was responsible for posting both the bios and photos and jpegs can be sent to her for that purpose.
- Bush extended his thanks for Jacque Moore for newsletter and informed the Board of her professional portfolio.
- New Business: Included Employee Handbook revisions adding sections
- J. Cell Phone usage while driving is forbidden for Insurance Purposes
- K. Whistle Blower statute/Employee complaints
- L. Employment Regulation Poster of Local State & government agencies is to be displayed in the office workroom. Graubard made a motion to accept new additions to Employee Handbook. Johnson seconded, All approved.
- Next Board Meeting will take place on Oct. 29th.
Guests, Taylor and Thomaides left meeting so that Board could conclude the voting of New Board Members in closed session.
March 2013 Board Minutes
February 2013 Board Minutes
January 2013 Board Minutes
November 2012 Board Minutes
September 2012 Board Minutes
July 2012 Board Agenda
May 2012 Board Minutes
April 2012 Board Minutes
February 2012 Board Minutes
February 24, 2012 Board Agenda
November 2011 Minutes
October 2011 Minutes
September 2011 Minutes
August 26, 2011 Board Minutes
May 2011 Board Minutes
April 2011 Board Minutes
March 2011 Board Minutes
February 2011 Board Minutes
January 2011 Board Minutes
November 2010 Board Minutes
October 2010 Board Minutes
August 2010 Board Minutes
July 2010 Board Minutes
June 2010 Board Minutes
May 2010 Minutes
April 2010 Board Minutes
January 2010 Board Minutes
December 2009 Minutes
August 2009 Board Minutes
July 2009 Board Minutes
June 2009 Board Minutes
May 2009 Board Minutes