March 2013 Board Minutes
Redwood Coast Senior Center
Board Of Directors Meeting
Board Members in Attendance
Jim Graham, Gin Kremen, Ann Gallagher, Robert Bushansky, Ronalie Silveira, Sandra Donato, Sid Balows
Board Members Absent
Staff Members Present
Janice Thomaides, Waldi Helma, Charles Bush
1. Corrections to the minutes: the phrase "fund coordinating committee" was changed to "event coordinating group", to distinguish this work group from the Board Fund Raising Committee. The minutes were unanimously approved after corrections.
2. Report from Fundraising Committee: The net income from the March brunch was $805. We offered a brunch instead of the dinner due to a calendar conflict. Update on luau – will be held Saturday evening June 15 – Michael Arago band will play a concert following a Hawaiian dinner. Board members had a number of specific suggestions for promoting and managing the event. These included, promoting the event in the Bay Area, running a two-sided buffet table, and promoting the event to high school graduates and their families since it is graduation weekend. Front desk has started selling tickets for the bus trip to the Giants game. Plans are complete for the pre-concert dinner on the evening of April 5.
3. Operations committee met, and established a calendar for the next several months. Will have a report next month.
4. An authorization resolution for submission of a 5310 bus procurement grant application to Caltrans was passed unanimously. (Copy attached to minutes)
5. Board approved allowing the Humane Society to set up a table in the lobby for informational purposes, not for fund raising.
6. The board reviewed recommended changes to the bylaws as submitted by the governance committee at the last regular board meeting. A copy of the new recommended bylaws is attached. Sentences to be changed are identified in italics, and proposed changes are underlined. The following changes were approved:
Article I, Section D – amended as indicated to read "Each member shall serve on one or more committees and shall actively participate in projects of the center."
Article II Section F – amended as indicated to read "This notation includes newspaper, bulletin board, website and radio."
Article II section H – amended as indicated to strike sentence "the board by two thirds majority vote, may terminate the relationship at any time with or without cause."
Article III, section C, paragraph 1 – amended to read "on a weekly basis"
Article III, section C, paragraph 2, part a – amended as indicated to read "participate by conference call ". Amended as indicated to replace "concurring" with "participating".
Article III, section D, paragraph 3 three, part a – amended as indicated to read "participate by conference call".
Article III, section D, paragraph 3, part b – amended as indicated to read "participating", in place of "concurring".
Article III, section D, paragraph 4 – amended as indicated to read "if there is a change to this date".
Article III section D paragraph 6, part a – amended as indicated to read "may" in place of "shall".
Article IV, section C amended as indicated to read "in addition, the board shall discuss and vote upon proposed new programs and sponsored activities".
Article IV, section C, paragraph 1 amended as indicated to read "changes in approved programs shall be brought to the board's attention".
Article V, section A amended as indicated to read "monthly" in place of "as often as necessary".
7. Board met in executive session to review Eldercare program. Board approved reducing client service days from 4 to 3 temporarily, based on ongoing enrollment. Director would be working on increasing enrollment during the other two days each week.
8. Board adjourned at 3:00 PM. Next meeting scheduled for April 26, Friday, 1:00 PM